Atlas is at the forefront of neo-generation farming with over 40 years of combined expertise. This includes farming and developing vineyards around the world with respects to traditional farming practices while actively seeking and implementing innovative methods. The eerie Omen label is a result an Atlas Vineyard Management team member’s photo of an abandoned monastery that sits a top one of the vineyards they manage. From this, the Omen label was born.
The vineyard is located in the Sierra Foothills AVA, on soils composed of granite soils. They pick 75% of the fruit at elevations between 2,306 and 2,500 (!). The remaining 25% of the fruit is picked from the outstanding Rorick Heritage Vineyard property (literally a canyon inside the mountains) in Murphys, CA. The diverse soil here is rich in iron, decomposing granite and limestone (a unique combo in California). Yields are lower than in Napa Valley (<2 tons/acre) packing some deep concentration and depth.
Their are 9 grape clusters per bottle, fermented without any artificial additions. The wine is free of sulfites, and aged in 30% new Oak French oak barrels made in the USA.
Notes of blackberry and cassis with a hint of smokey graphite. This wine is rich with luscious and elegant tannins.