Skip to main content

Cadillac Côtes de Bordeaux Blend

 

Winery

Château Carignan

Appellation

AOC Cadillac Côtes de Bordeaux

Wine Name

Cadillac Côtes de Bordeaux

Variety

70% Merlot

20% Cabernet Sauvignon

10% Cabernet Franc

Red Wine

Dry

Bordeaux

Olivier Frulio

8,000 acres

 
Downloads

Technical Sheet

Bottle Shot

Front Label

Shelf Talker

 

Story

Château Carignan (named after the local castle build in 1452) is located at Carignan de Bordeaux, 10km to the east of Bordeaux. The dominant grape variety, as for the other right bank Appellations (Saint-Emilion and Pomerol), is Merlot. This variety is in its element on the clayey limestone hillsides and offers supple, well-rounded and highly fruity wines. The Côtes de Bordeaux denomination was defined by the French government in 1937 as an area of 3,400 hectares spread over 37 communes on the right bank of the river Garonne, forming a narrow strip of vineyards some 60km long and 5km wide from the north of Bordeaux to Langon. A great deal of technical progress has been made throughout the Côtes de Bordeaux and the wine’s excellent value and quality have made them much sought after.

Vineyard

The estate lies over 150 hectares, 65 of which are planted with vines. The vines lie on south facing clayey-limestone hillsides covered with stony gravel. The average age of the vines for this cuvee is 30 to 35 years. Plantation density is 6,950 vines per hectare on 30% of the vineyard and 5,000 vines per hectare over the remaining 70%. Double Guyot pruning is limited to 4 buds per vine. The grapes for the Château Carignan wines are hand harvested.

Vinification

Sorting tables and a private winery with small heat controlled tanks ensure full control of parcel selection for wine making. Malolactic fermentation is made in stainless tanks then Chateau de Carignan is aged in barrel of 1 and 2 wines for 8 to 12 months. The entire production is estate bottled.

Tasting Notes

Deep dark red colour. The nose is complex with a wide range of aromas. Long and fleshy mouth with a tannic structure, concentrated flavors of black fruit, cassis, blackberries, cocoa and spices. Very balanced mouthfeel. Serve between 16 and 18°C, best to be consumed 5 to 10 years.

Food Pairing

Ideal with hot starters, red meat, stews and cheese platters.

Bordeaux Blend

Bordeaux Blend

Château Carignan- L'Orangerie de Carignan

Cadillac Côtes de Bordeaux Blend

Cadillac Côtes de Bordeaux Blend

Château Carignan- Cadillac